Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Apple Pie

Credits to Allrecipe's Grandma Ople's Apple Pie and Butter Flaky Crust recipes respectively.

Its been awhile since I updated this blog. 3 years or so to be exact. In the most honest sense, business and struggles with weight issues have led me to take time out.

But atlas, I do cook and bake occasionally and still love it with passion. Nothing beats good food and good company.

Today I bring you a three course meal I did for new year's eve for my family and relatives.

For dessert. Apple pie with homemade pie crust.
Butter + Flour + Water = Flaky Crust  

Let that babe refrigerate for a few hours

Chopped the apples into fine slices/cubes


The sauce consisted of unsalted butter and fine sugar melted in a saucepan

Homemade crust shaped into a deep dish

Apple Cubes!

Added some cinammon and star anise to the sauce


Baked for an hour at 150'C to golden brown flakiness and VOILA!

**TIPS I LEARNT**

1. For the sauce, the recipe calls 60ml water, DONT EVEN BORTHER PUTTING IN WATER. Apples in itself contains a lot of water, so the end product turned out a bit runnier than desired when I added the required water. So next time, I'll just ommit the water and let the sauce get all gel and sticky.

2. As you can see in the picture, I wasn't sure whether the apple would be cook if I just dumped the sauce on top and baked it straight away, so I hesistantly put half the apple cubes into my sauce. That step was unecessary guys. Sorry

3. Peel the apple skin. Laziness got the better of me and I didn't. Skin has bitter and tart notes, would have had a better pie without skin.

4. And lastly, keep the apple pie thinner. Deep dish didn't work well for this apple pie recipe.


Here are the links to the recipes. :)

Grandma Ople's Apple Pie

and

Butter Flaky Pie Crust

No comments:

Post a Comment